<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Interstellar Adventure
Adventure: the pursuit of life — Daniel Roy Wiarda

« Home | White Rock N Roll » | oh, and I trained too » | You were stupid not to see it coming » | Realization » | anti-speed » | Double-header basketball and a long run » | Desperado Friday Night » | sprints suck » | I'm very disappointed in you all » | Do you drunk-dial? »

Dino Dash

Saturday, May 07, 2005

I set a Personal Record today! I ran the Dino Dash 5K and 10K. Yes, two races. It was either that or run for an hour and thirty minutes by myself. So, I collected another t-shirt and some other free swag! Even though I drank too many lemon drop martinis last night, I still managed to drag my butt out of bed and make it to the race early. I got registered and then relaxed in my car for a few minutes before meeting my friend Judy and her family before the start. Judy was shocked that I had even showed up. She was at poker night last night and was frowning at me as I consumed consecutive martinis. LOL! Judy, you should know that if I say I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it! So, we lined up for the start and planned our race goals. I was hoping to finish in less than 35 minutes. This was doable at my recent paces. Q, Judy's 7-year old son was hoping to finish in 32 minutes. Nothing to challenge you like a 7-year old! Her 12 year old daughter L was planning on running a 9:30 pace! These people are crazy. Her husband Keith was running with Q to keep him on pace, and Judy had one of the people from her running class to pace with. I would be left on my own to run, but that's OK, I had my music! The start gun went off and we started our watches and our legs running. There were a lot of kids and walkers in this race, so it was difficult to dodge them all at the start until we got spaced out better. I was concerned that I started too quickly when at the 1 mile marker I looked at my watch and saw 10:46. I tried to slow down a little, but didn't want to pull up too short. I decided to go for as long as I could to try and meet my goal. Mile 2 split was 21:56, so that one was a little slower. I was still feeling good and had my breathing under control, and was on pace to exceed my goal of 35 minutes, so I decided to push it and see what I could do. I crossed the 5K finish in 33:26! WOW! And, ahead of Q I might add. How sad is it that I'm proud to beat a 7-year old. OK, I'm not proud to beat him, I'm proud that I didn't let him beat me! I would feel such shame... Then I had about 5 minutes before the 10K started, so I grabbed a bottle of water and cheered on a few more people that were crossing the finish line. I switched my race numbers (yes, a number for each race) and got ready to go again. The gun went off and I knew I was just going to run this one to finish. My legs were wobbly already and my right knee was starting to twinge a bit. So, I stayed pretty far back in the pack, and was quickly left in the dust by all those 'good' runners. I was shooting for a 12 minute pace or thereabouts to finish the 10K. Through the third mile I was doing pretty well on that. At mile 4 (my mile 7 in reality) my legs started to go numb and my quads were burning. I thought maybe if I walked a miniute, but no, when I tried that, it hurt worse than if I just kept running. Plus my breathing was totally under control and even, so it was just a matter of me mentally pushing my body. I allowed myself to walk through the last water station, but then it was back to a trot to finish out the race. I passed a few people there at the end, which is always good...you know you didn't push yourself too hard and managed to cross the finish line in 1:16:17. Just around a 12:15 pace. Not glamorous, but gets the job done. Now if I could just find me a Cinco de Mayo party...and a mojito.

5/07/2005 11:33:00 AM :: ::
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

InterstellarLass :: permalink