<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Interstellar Adventure
Adventure: the pursuit of life — Daniel Roy Wiarda

« Home | Saturday Training & Urban Adventure » | Happy Memorial Day Weekend! » | So this is what it's like to be relaxed... » | Hill Repeats » | I'm surprised I'm not more evil... » | Get Your Ass over the Pass » | What does your birthday mean? » | Wildflower Festival Saturday Night » | Wildflower Festival Friday Night » | I'm Smiling! »

Marathon Class: Day 1

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Despite setting both of my alarms, this morning I opened my eyes, stared at the clock and read 5:59 AM. OMG! I was supposed to be at the Run On! store in 1 minute. Crap crap crappity crap. So, I jumped out of bed, threw on my running clothes, grabbed my coffee (fortunately I had set the timer on the coffee pot the night before), a breakfast bar and headed out the door. I managed to drive up into the parking lot at 6:20, just in time to see the class jogging towards the track at SMU. Not good. I ran inside and inquired about the marathon class. Yep, that was the group I had seen running off. I could complete the registration info later, just go on and catch up. So, I ran over to SMU, and by some miracle, ended up right at the track just as they were about to start the time trial. The time trial would give the coaches our 5K pace and this would enable them to place us in pace groups. I was having a feeling I wasn't going to have a great run (yeah, I know, not good to start off with negative thinking), but my quads were sore from my ride the day before, I had woke up late, didn't eat like I should have, and I was feeling guilty for being late! But, I lined up nevertheless, and ran as best as I could. I started off too quickly. After 2 laps of the track, I was on a 10:00 mile pace. Waaaay to fast for "Slow Poke Lass"! I finished the first mile on that pace, then I slowed it down a bit. They had said that we should be only able to respond to a question with Yes/No, but not a complete sentence. Well, I don't think I could have said Yes/No. I dropped back, and was lapped by some crazy fast runners. But, I ran my own pace, pushed myself at the end, and finished in 33:06. A new PR for me. 20 seconds off my previous PR a couple of weeks ago. I was shooting for something under 33, so I got real close. Next time. Then, we ran (when can I stop running!) back to the store and I completed my signup, paid, and listened to the coaching team talk about the remainder of training to come. This is going to be so much fun, and a real challenge. I am so looking forward to it. After the speech, I followed my friend Judy to her house, where we picked up her kids, went to another track, and ran another 3.2 miles. Her kids are training for a 10K race next month. Then, we went and ate breakfast. A well-earned omelette if I do say so myself. Tomatos, avocados and cheese. YUM. Then, I went to my friend Melissa's house for a pool party. Depite the overcast sky, and the brief sprinkle of showers, I had a nice, relaxing and enjoyable afternoon. Tomorrow is a day off before I start up on the marathon training. Perfect time to clean house and do laundry. Glamorous I know, but hey, somebody's got to do it. Hope your weekend has been fantastic so far. Enjoy your day off tomorrow!

5/29/2005 06:01:00 PM :: ::
4 Comments:
  • I'd have been freaking out if I woke up so late too. The class sounds great, and probably very helpful. When is your marathon? WTG on the PB! I did mine today, on the treadmill, of 30:05. I was really pushing for under 30, but it didn't happen. Oh well.

    Great bike ride fiasco yesterday! LOL!

    By Blogger Indigo, at 5/29/2005 09:42:00 PM

     


  • My friend and I are doing the Nike Women's in San Francisco on October 23. Rather than a medal, we get a finisher's necklace designed by Tiffany & Co.! Plus a couple of our other girlfriends are going to go with us to cheer us on, so it'll be a 'power girl' weekend.

    By Blogger InterstellarLass, at 5/30/2005 07:47:00 AM

     


  • So when did you start the running thing? I wish I could run that far and be motivated to do so. I have to run 2 miles every 6 months for a test and that is about all I can muster up to do.

    By Blogger Dorman, at 6/06/2005 05:13:00 AM

     


  • I started running last year, but not seriously until the last couple of months. I'm not a runner by nature, but I'm pushing myself!

    By Blogger InterstellarLass, at 6/06/2005 10:58:00 AM

     


Post a Comment
<< Home

InterstellarLass :: permalink