<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Interstellar Adventure
Adventure: the pursuit of life — Daniel Roy Wiarda

« Home | Marathon Class: Day 1 » | Saturday Training & Urban Adventure » | Happy Memorial Day Weekend! » | So this is what it's like to be relaxed... » | Hill Repeats » | I'm surprised I'm not more evil... » | Get Your Ass over the Pass » | What does your birthday mean? » | Wildflower Festival Saturday Night » | Wildflower Festival Friday Night »

Quit that barking!

Monday, May 30, 2005

Last night my two lovely, crazy, muddy dogs were outside just barking up a storm at around 3:30 in the morning. For them to wake me up means 1) they're barking very loud, and 2) they've been barking for quite awhile. They just don't bark like that for no reason, so I wondered what could be driving them so batty. Hoping it wasn't some crazy nut trying to break into my yard, I walked to the back door and peered out into the dark. I could see them both standing on either side of some poor little animal. At first I thought it was a bunny. No, no big floppy ears. Then, when my dogs realized that I was at the door, they came running over, giving the animal the opportunity to look over. It was a 'possum! So, I opened the door and brought Wrigley & Tori in and gave the poor thing a chance to escape. I thought I had seen a 'possum one night while I was driving in the neighborhood, and now I know for sure that I did. I'm always amazed at the amount of wildlife one can find in a urban/suburban setting. Our local greenbelt provides some excellent habitat for wild things. There are rabbits I know, and I've seen an owl once. I've heard of coyotes venturing into the city, but heck, we're encroaching on their home range with our urban sprawl, so who can blame them. Anyone else have any cool wildlife around their 'hood?

5/30/2005 07:48:00 AM :: ::
4 Comments:
  • I live near a golf course, and my window overlooks one of the fairways. At night, I can hear a pack of coyotes yelping until they catch their prey (hopefully not somebody's housecat let out for a midnight stroll). They will venture right to the edge of the woods, but I have yet to see them come out into the wide open. A week or so ago I saw a bobcat trotting along the edge of the woods, too. They only come out after the sun has gone down. I bet the golfers have no idea what's lurking in those trees when they chase their errant shots.

    This area has grown so rapidly that the wildlife has very little space left to roam, so any sizeable clump of woodland harbors no telling what.

    How was breakfast? ;-)

    By Blogger FTS, at 5/30/2005 03:13:00 PM

     


  • Oh God, don't get me started...I live in the woods, you see. We have everything out here - racoons, hawks, snakes, fox, deer, mice...bear

    By Blogger MommaK, at 5/30/2005 10:18:00 PM

     


  • Where I used to live in Cheltenham, UK we had an explosion of wild foxes. I actually saw one walk down the street in front of me and squat down on the road to do, shall we say, what bears are famed for doing in the woods. My first I thought "how disgusting" until I got up close to where the fox had squatted and saw that it had been careful to squat over a drain. I don't know many animals that would be that considerate.

    By Blogger culfy, at 5/31/2005 03:02:00 AM

     


  • How did memorial day go?

    the usual cheese rolling took place close to where I live, I didn't partake in this as usually a few limbs are damaged in this pagen tradition of chasing cheese down a hill-bonkers!

    By Blogger The Wisdom of Wislon, at 5/31/2005 03:10:00 AM

     


Post a Comment
<< Home

InterstellarLass :: permalink