<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Interstellar Adventure
Adventure: the pursuit of life — Daniel Roy Wiarda

« Home | Back to Dr. Pain » | Marathon training, Week 5 » | Rockledge Park, Grapevine, TX, June Birthday Chall... » | 100 (plus) posts » | Youi might be hardcore if... » | My Favorite Martini's » | So maybe he's not all bad... » | The ABC's of me » | What happened to my legs! » | Music & Me (meme) »

Just from Plain 'Ol Texas

Monday, June 27, 2005

Interestingly enough, my sis posted a 'Texan Theme' as well recently. You Know You're From Texas When... Yep. That's me. This will be Installment 1 of 'Around My Town'. I mean, I know my marathon training is exciting and all, but I thought maybe you would enjoy a different topic on occasion. And, the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex has a plethora of sights to see. So, first off, I'll show you a bit from my city of residence, Plano, TX though it's not my 'hometown'. I was born in Houston, TX, and raised in Irving, which is about 25 miles from where I currently live. Irving is also home to Texas Stadium and the Dallas Cowboys. Well, for now anyway. Arlington (where the Texas Rangers play) caved in and decided to build Jerry Jones the stadium of his greedy-dreams. Irving didn't want to play with Jerry anymore, because Jerry is an @$$, but that's beside the point...I digress...Excepting the year that I lived in California as an infant when my bio-dad was in the Navy, and the year that I lived in Oklahoma as a kindergardener when my step-dad was finishing his medical residency, I have always lived in Texas, and specifically the Dallas area. Now, contrary to the impression the old TV show Dallas (you remember...the Ewings; J.R., Bobby, Sue Ellen, Pamela, and Miss Ellie and Cliff Barnes) might have given you ...we aren't some spoiled, rich, big-haired, thick-lipstick-wearing oil barons. Well, at least I'm not. There are some spoiled, rich, big-haired, thick-lipstick-wearing Dallas socialites that I could talk about, but that's not the point here. Plano is also home to Southfork Ranch. And, unless you're from the eastern suburbs, or from far western Fort Worth, or from south of the metroplex, or from north of the metroplex...well, if you're me, you don't have a thick Texas accent like Sue Ellen Ewing. I don't have an accent! I promise. I spent a summer in England once, and at a party one evening, everyone found out I was from Dallas, they wanted me to talk. They were very disappointed, and the party went on... So, Plano is a city of around 244,000 suburbanites. We are located just 20 miles north of downtown Dallas, and have numerous accolades heaped upon us for our school district, police force, yada yada yada. It's a nice city, yes. One of the more interesting things about Plano (I think) is that there is a working farm right smack dab in the middle of the city. (Smack dab in the middle is a precise locator phrase in Texas.) They have horses, cows, sheep and llamas from what I can see. Farm at a major city intersection Cows and horses Cow More Cows Horses and cows Llamas Hay bales Plano also has some very nice parks. I am fortunate to live near one of these parks, and I sometimes run the paved-trail system that runs along the greenbelt. End to end it's 5.5 miles, so if I'm running long, I have to double back part of the way. But, it's pleasant, shaded, safe and well maintained, so I'm happy. There's also an east-west trail, but it's very open (no shade) and runs along some heavy power lines. There's this weird electric hum that just gives me the creeps, so I don't run that very often. Spillway at park in my neighborhood Indian paintbrush Looking down the spillway Mamma duck chasing baby ducks Looking North The other side of the trail All-in-all, Plano is a nice city. The schools are good, there's not much crime, there's every convenience you could want, tons of restaurants. Cookie-cutter houses for the most part, soccer moms (my daughter plays soccer, but that does NOT make me a soccer mom), school zone after school zone, 3 major Senior High schools. Yep, pretty boring, but at least it's a 'good place to raise kids'.

6/27/2005 09:46:00 PM :: ::
13 Comments:
  • I've driven by that farm at Park and Independence, and it's always been funny to me that you can drive three minutes west and be in Willow Bend (the million-dollar and up mansions).

    The boom is moving north into Frisco, aided by Tom Hicks' (owner of the Rangers and the Stars) influx of money, and I was so glad to be back in this area after returning to my hometown of Arlington for a couple of years.

    If it just wasn't so dad-gummed hot...

    By Blogger FTS, at 6/27/2005 11:34:00 PM

     


  • I especially like the duck photo, Plano looks nice.

    So you really don't wear 4ft shoulder pads and big hair and heels like Sue Ellen! ;-)

    Is it really hot at the moment there?
    England is warm but we're getting occasional rain and floods like at Glastonbury and Up North.

    By Blogger The Wisdom of Wislon, at 6/28/2005 02:32:00 AM

     


  • One of my friends moved home (Milwaukee) from Plano last year. She was transplanted there via San Antonio (I was there, it's hot as hell!).

    5.25 miles this morning, my soundtrack did me justice. :-)

    By Blogger Indigo, at 6/28/2005 08:48:00 AM

     


  • That place looks so nice. I was born in Dallas but raised in Idaho. Hmph!! I can't believe you don't have an accent. Not even a slight hint?

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 6/28/2005 09:23:00 AM

     


  • oh Texas is a wonderful place ... and gives us ample amounts to talk about. teehee.

    By Anonymous Brittany, at 6/28/2005 09:23:00 AM

     


  • Heh, well, I only took pictures of pretty things. ;) Nope, no shoulder pads or big hair. I do wear sassy heels, but not with rhinestones. It's very hot, and only getting hotter. If I get tipsy and excitable, I sometimes can let a little accent slip, but most of the time I sound like I'm from the midwest. :)

    By Blogger InterstellarLass, at 6/28/2005 09:27:00 AM

     


  • I grew up in Colorado, just North of the New Mexico border. I worked at a hotel and was called "little lady" way too often by Texans. I think I only met the spoiled, rich, big-haired, thick-lipsticked oil barons. I'm warming up to the rest of the Texans now.

    By Anonymous abbynormal, at 6/28/2005 10:58:00 AM

     


  • That looks a lot like where we live in VA except its not so flat. I think we are getting oyur heat right now. Blah! You have have it back ;-)

    By Blogger MommaK, at 6/28/2005 11:30:00 AM

     


  • Nice pictures!
    Hope your knee and chin are better!

    By Blogger annie, at 6/28/2005 12:27:00 PM

     


  • Its always cool to see where fellow bloggers live. One day I will have to do this too!

    By Blogger TrueJerseyGirl, at 6/28/2005 01:59:00 PM

     


  • loved it! Thought it looked like a great place to raise kids too.
    I have a friend that lives in Plano, he's a dentist. now i'm wondering if you two actually know each other... as in one of those, "it's a small world story".

    By Anonymous Laura, at 6/28/2005 02:57:00 PM

     


  • *Coughs* @ doesn't have an accent ;-)

    By Blogger FTS, at 6/29/2005 10:21:00 AM

     


  • WAAAY late, but maybe somebody will read this.

    That should be the Haggard farm, I went to school (through college) with one of their grandkids. IIRC they are doing okay (notice there is also a haggard park in town, and probably a school or two named after them). My friend lived on another farm out where the Dallas North Tollway is now, near Park. In other words, they sold most of the land to the folks in the million dollar willow bend houses.

    It's a great place to live, or was, I moved to Plane-O when I was two and stayed through high school, we still visit lots. It's grown a little bit since the old days.

    By Blogger Silly Old Bear, at 12/09/2005 11:09:00 AM

     


Post a Comment
<< Home

InterstellarLass :: permalink