<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Interstellar Adventure
Adventure: the pursuit of life — Daniel Roy Wiarda

« Home | What a shame, I liked him » | Momentary Melancholy » | Hot Legs » | Rock Stick Challenge » | On very little sleep... » | Speaking of sunrises... » | Marathon training, con't... » | My sister is moving...update » | Date Update » | Back to work...if I must »

Marathon training, week 2 wrap-up

Thursday, June 09, 2005

After a strong start last week, this week's training was a bit of a disappointment, and it's all my own fault. Sunday I of course skipped my run completely as I was not able to drag my tired, bruised and otherwise battered body out of bed. Good thing my swim-suit bottoms cover the grapefruit-sized bruise on my left hip. (Sorry guys, no I won't take a picture of that for you.) Tuesday morning I overslept as a result of being a night-owl. I went to the gym that night and attempted to run on the treadmill, but after 15 minutes of running, my left knee (yeah, see the one with the big scab on it below) started to bother me. Tried to at least walk the rest of the time I had left, but it felt twingy, so I decided it was better to quit. Did crunches and arms instead. Last night's wine tasting (sans-CPA) was great fun, and I managed to make it home by 10:30 feeling only slightly loopy. Still, that night-owl in me didn't let me drift off until around midnight. I forgot to set my alarm. Yet, by some miracle, I woke up at 4:50 this morning. I jumped up, got dressed and made it out the door and to the track by 5:20. I ran a 10/15/10 tempo run. Not too bad a pace on my 15 minute tempo, but kept it slower than last week due to the knee. One of the coaches asked me where I was on Tuesday morning. "In bed!" I replied honestly. Then as we were leaving, she noticed my bike rack I haven't taken off my trunk yet. "Ahem. Biking? Are you supposed to be doing that?" she asked. Nope, I'm sure not...note to self...take the bike rack off after you're done with it! Just because it makes you look all cool and hard-core driving down the freeway... Still, as I started my run this morning, I felt better and pretty strong (despite the knee). And even in the muggy, still morning that made me feel as if I was running through marshmallow goo, it felt great to just run. Does this mean I'm becoming an addict? The need for that runner's high is becoming something I look forward to, and if I miss it, my attitude is affected. My mind is no longer starved for my MP3 player (yes, running with headphones in a group setting is just rude), and I no longer am looking at my watch every minute thinking 'how much longer'. Instead, I'm calculating in my mind how far I should go in a space of time, and pushing myself to make it. In between, while trying to keep up with the number of laps I've completed, my brain is relaxing, my thoughts turn to focusing on my pace, feeling my legs turn over and over again, keeping my breathing even and calm. And when it's over, I'm elated! But not because I'm finally done. No, because by 6 am I have accomplished something already. I have given my body the workout it deserves. I have taken one more step to realizing my goal. I did not give in to tiredness and apathy. I'm starting to understand the attitude that some take of running being a religion. Oh, and a special thank-you to FTS for pointing out the typo in my blog title. It's been fixed now. That's been there since I started, and no one else noticed it! Least of all me! And yes, it's neat that we both have 'star-crossed' themes! ;)

6/09/2005 09:34:00 AM :: ::
3 Comments:
  • Just surfed in on Blog Explosion. I enjoy running as well.

    Keep going ;-)

    By Blogger Bone, at 6/09/2005 10:05:00 AM

     


  • Yup, you are becoming an addict. Isn't it great? I skipped my run this morning, but my excuse is that I did 5 miles yesterday morning, and I can run tonight if I need to, and since I'm a runner, I'll *need* to.

    It clears my mind to run.

    I do the same thing at you do, try to calculate how far I can go in a space of time. I start around 5-5:45am, and I run until 6am. Whatever I get in there is what I'm stuck with for the day. I aim for at least 4 miles.

    By Blogger Indigo, at 6/09/2005 11:57:00 AM

     


  • The things you say about relaxing the mind, tuning out and concentratng on your self, breathing and getting out there are things I remember my dad
    saying before he stopped running after he did the London marathon!

    Have always thought one day I shall give running a go but have always put obstacles in my way, ate and drank the wrong things, done other stuff.

    Suppose like anything you've really got to want to to do it and push yourself to keep training. You sound like you enjoy it and it's not a chore so much now you're into it.

    Getting over the running wall ;-)

    By Blogger The Wisdom of Wislon, at 6/10/2005 02:53:00 AM

     


Post a Comment
<< Home

InterstellarLass :: permalink