<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Interstellar Adventure
Adventure: the pursuit of life — Daniel Roy Wiarda

« Home | Romance 101 » | Mineral Wells Photos » | Holy WOW » | Too Hot to Handle 15K » | One of these days... » | BodPod » | Still WOW'd » | Mineral Wells Adventure Race Report » | Marathon Pace Run » | So much is going on! »

Hill Running & Damn! I'm a great cook!

Thursday, July 28, 2005

I officially hate running up hills. Or at least running up, down, up, down, up, down the same hill over and over again. This morning I met my running group at 5:30 am, and we did hill repeats. 8 minute warm up, 7 minute cool down, 32 minutes of hills. 8 x 2 repeats. That's 2 minutes running up the hill, 2 minutes running down the hill, 8 times. Last night I made dinner for Nick. I love to cook, but I don't get to do much more than turkey tacos or spaghetti usually. I also love to try new recipes, which has sometimes in the past proven dangerous and disappointing. But not last night. It was the best dinner I've turned out in quite a long time, and my chance to return the romance favor. Dinner, music, wine, candles. Yep, very nice. The menu: Hummus & pita Lamb kebabs with onions and potatoes Okra sauteed with tomatoes and onions Asparagus with goat cheese sauce Chocolate Orange Flan 2 bottles of red wine; Spanish reds, Mano a Mano and Abrazo The hummus rocked. It was a bit garlicky, but that's my fault...I love garlic. Can't get enough of it. I've never cooked lamb before. I ordered it from the butcher, pre-cut for kebabs. Seasoned it, skewered it with the potatoes and onions and grilled it over open flame. Fantastic! I've never cooked okra either, and it turned out very tasty. I will definitely make this dish again. Maybe modify it a bit to make it a little more soupy, and add in some rice to make a stew. I eat asparagus all the time, but the sauce was new. Goat cheese, mayo, milk, salt, pepper and crumbled bacon. Delicious! The flan was a work of art. Despite losing much sleep over it the night before, it was so worth it. The recipe said it would take an hour to bake. It ended up taking two and a half hours to bake. I don't know whether this was because of my oven, or the secondary pan I baked it in being to small or what. But, I was just very pleased that it turned out so well AND came out of the baking dish in one piece. The wines were pretty good. World Market carries a lot of wines, and I was very pleased with the two I selected. These were both Spanish wines. The first, Mano a Mano had a little bit of a tart aftertaste, but was very drinkable. The second, Abrazo was beyond excellent for the price. Rich, ruby colored, smelled like roses, had a strong taste of dark red berries. Exquisite.

7/28/2005 09:14:00 AM :: ::
9 Comments:
  • Wow! Sounds wonderful. Glad everything turned out good for you. It means so much when someone goes thru the time and effort to prepare a candlelight dinner.

    By Blogger Bone, at 7/28/2005 10:34:00 AM

     


  • I'll put in my vote for the okra, hummus, flan and of course, the WINE! Yummy! Sounds like another wonderful night!

    By Blogger Carnealian, at 7/28/2005 10:38:00 AM

     


  • Mmmm, that sounds delicious. I'm glad everything came out so well, I usually don't have the same luck with new meals. I have never had lamb before, I really need to try it.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 7/28/2005 11:59:00 AM

     


  • YUM!! So you cook too?? Lets see, plays poker, can cook, runs her ass off, drinks good beer & wine...if I were a guy I'd marry you;-)

    By Blogger MommaK, at 7/28/2005 01:18:00 PM

     


  • What a great menu! It's been so long since I cooked any "real" food. It's pretty much just kid fare around here.

    And I'm with you on the damn hills.

    By Anonymous abbynormal, at 7/28/2005 02:33:00 PM

     


  • Wow, sounds like you put on quite the culinary show for Nick!!! Wish I could cook.

    By Blogger TrueJerseyGirl, at 7/28/2005 03:22:00 PM

     


  • Okra is probably my favorite vegetable, right up there withg asparagus, and is the only thing I will eat fried these days -- if done properly with corn meal and not that wimpy batter most restaurants use.

    By Blogger FTS, at 7/28/2005 06:03:00 PM

     


  • I totally want a bottle of red wine now. I'm so glad you've met such a great guy.

    Yuck on the hills. I don't care for them much myself.

    Thanks's for the advise today! I think I've got something.

    By Blogger Indigo, at 7/28/2005 08:18:00 PM

     


  • whose Nick? congrats on the awesome dinner!

    By Anonymous Brittany, at 7/28/2005 11:52:00 PM

     


Post a Comment
<< Home

InterstellarLass :: permalink