<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Interstellar Adventure
Adventure: the pursuit of life — Daniel Roy Wiarda

« Home | One of these days... » | BodPod » | Still WOW'd » | Mineral Wells Adventure Race Report » | Marathon Pace Run » | So much is going on! » | I'm Home! » | Mineral Wells Adventure Race » | The 'WOW' factor » | And ya'll think I'm crazy! »

Too Hot to Handle 15K

Saturday, July 23, 2005

I finished my race this morning. Didn't quite make my goal time of 1:44:09. I finished in 1:48:33. Wasn't easy. I ran too fast at the start. My first mile was under 11 minutes, and my 3 mile split was 33:56. I tried to slow down, but then I wasn't able to speed up. Nothing really hurt, it was just really hot. I pretty much felt like a chicken in a rotiserre. The heat just sapped my energy. I managed to pick it up at mile 8 a little, and as I passed the 9 mile marker I laid out everything I had left. It wasn't much, and I was hurtin', but I crossed the finish line strong. I'm glad that's over!
Update: This just in! I checked the results for my race, and I was in 5th place in my division. YAY! *will not note that if I had run my goal pace I would have placed 3rd and received a medal, 'cause that's not important ;) *

7/23/2005 12:36:00 PM :: ::
11 Comments:
  • but you finished!!! That's what counts :) I loved the BodPod post too, I've never heard of those things!! it must take courage to get into one in front of your friends, LOL. Did they do it along with you?
    Congrats in your journey toget all healthy and stuff!

    By Anonymous Laura, at 7/23/2005 05:57:00 PM

     


  • Awesome! Just think how conditioned you will be when fall and winter roll around...they'll see nuttin but dust!

    By Blogger Carnealian, at 7/23/2005 06:47:00 PM

     


  • Well, if it's 150 degrees there like it is everywhere else, you cannot be expected to be as fast!

    By Blogger annie, at 7/23/2005 08:30:00 PM

     


  • YOU ROCK! I think you did awesome!!! It's tough to not start out fast, and hold back a little bit. My new trick is to have the first two songs on my ipod be have a slower beat so that it reminds me to start out slow and easy. This is my playlist for the 1st mile (aren't you glad you asked? lol):
    I Need a Lover, John Mellencamp
    Don't Cha, Pussy Cat Dolls
    Let's Get It Started, Black Eyed Peas

    Anyhow. I'm SUPER PROUD OF YOU!!!!

    By Blogger Indigo, at 7/23/2005 08:59:00 PM

     


  • Awesome, Lass! I cannot imagine running that far, especially in this heat. Way to go.

    By Blogger Bone, at 7/24/2005 12:29:00 AM

     


  • Finishing a race of that distance is winning, in my book. Congratulations -- both on completing the course and not passing out from [Texas] heat exhaustion.

    By Blogger FTS, at 7/24/2005 08:21:00 AM

     


  • You did really well. Heat like you described can take so much out of a person.

    By Blogger Jean-Luc Picard, at 7/24/2005 08:23:00 AM

     


  • Wow! I'm impressed! Sorry you didn't make your goal, but you did great!

    By Blogger Michele, at 7/24/2005 09:12:00 AM

     


  • Hey! I'm in! We've been working on our computer and I wasn't able to get in here to comment in the last few days, but I've been keeping up on your posts.

    Good job on the 15K! Be careful in the heat!

    By Anonymous abbynormal, at 7/24/2005 05:39:00 PM

     


  • 5th place ROCKS. You did awesome. Again, living vicariously through you.

    By Blogger TrueJerseyGirl, at 7/24/2005 09:18:00 PM

     


  • 5th place is AWESOME!!!! And a medal would have been great!!! In April I took 1st place for my age division, and I didn't find out until I checked the times online that night!!!! I never stay for the awards. :-(

    By Blogger Indigo, at 7/26/2005 10:30:00 PM

     


Post a Comment
<< Home

InterstellarLass :: permalink