<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Interstellar Adventure
Adventure: the pursuit of life — Daniel Roy Wiarda

« Home | Yee Haw! » | Race Check In #4 » | Race Check In #3 » | Race Check In #2 » | Race Check In #1 » | We made it! Now...just 195 miles to go... » | 36 legs, 195 miles... » | Mission Trip, Finale » | Mission Trip, Part II » | The alarm went off at 4:15 a.m. »

So what's next?

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Now that the Colorado relay is over, what's next you ask? Well, the marathon is the next thing on the list. October 23 in San Francisco. That's exactly two months away! I'm done with hill workouts now, but we've moved on to Yasso's and Mile Repeats. I had Yasso's explained to me like this. You should run 800s in minutes what your marathon goal time is in hours. For simplicity's sake, we'll use my goal time. If you marathon finish goal time is 5 hours, then you should run an 800 (two times around a quarter mile track) in 5 minutes. Between each 800, jog the same number of minutes it took you to run your repeat. Then, run another 800 in 5 minutes. You start with a low number of repeats the first week, then build up to 10 over several weeks. Mile repeats are similar. These you are supposed to run 20 seconds faster than your goal pace. Then walk 400 meters between each repeat. This Thursday we're supposed to do six of those bad boys. I see a max of eight in a day on our schedule. Holy moly! That should be fun. :) After the marathon? The Rockledge Rumble 30K Trail Run on Nov. 12. Then, the White Rock Marathon on Dec 11. Then, the big, bad Bandera 50K Trail Run on Jan. 7. Bandera is what started all this blogging stuff. I still think that this is one of the hardest things I have ever done and finished. Last year I conquered the 25K trail (plus some). This next time I'm going for twice the distance. A 50K. That's 31 miles. Depending on how well (or not so well) my marathons go, I will be running the 50K distance. If I'm not feeling so hot, then I'll just do the 25K again for fun (and a better time). This is the grand master plan.

8/23/2005 08:40:00 AM :: ::
9 Comments:
  • Wow! My sister (with four kids) completed her first maraton last year. Now she's training for her next.

    I wish I liked running....

    By Blogger Raehan, at 8/23/2005 10:06:00 AM

     


  • Wow! My sister (with four kids) completed her first maraton last year. Now she's training for her next.

    I wish I liked running....

    By Blogger Raehan, at 8/23/2005 10:06:00 AM

     


  • Love hearing about all your races and training. I think about your dedication sometimes when I am sitting on the couch thinking...should I exercise or not? Interstellar would do it! And most of the time, I do too!

    By Blogger TrueJerseyGirl, at 8/23/2005 10:07:00 AM

     


  • I do what I call Bone-ohs! I run one-tenth of Interstellar's distance every other day ;-)

    I got tired just reading that post. Good luck!

    By Blogger Bone, at 8/23/2005 12:22:00 PM

     


  • "Yassos", never heard of them, wonder where the name comes from. How 'bout describing "fartlecks"? I just call my running sessions "recess".

    That's quite a calendar you have. The shoe companies must love you!

    By Anonymous abbynormal, at 8/23/2005 01:49:00 PM

     


  • My GOODNESS! I used to run track in high school but I cant even imagine running any kind of distance now. You must be in awesome shape! I am huffing and puffing running to the corner store for another pack of smokes. Hey, maybe its the cigarettes...na! =P

    By Blogger Walking,Talking,Poison, at 8/23/2005 04:27:00 PM

     


  • I wish I had your kind of time for training.

    I'm laughing at the fartlek comment by abbynormal. I love fartlek runs!

    By Blogger Indigo, at 8/23/2005 09:48:00 PM

     


  • i totally have to meet you when you do the big bad bandera relay! that's my hometown!!!!!

    By Blogger Crystal, at 8/23/2005 10:19:00 PM

     


  • How about the Fartlek trek!

    You must be so fit to do all of this running melarkies and still have time to raise kiddies, shake your tail feather and some...

    By Blogger The Wisdom of Wislon, at 8/24/2005 04:48:00 AM

     


Post a Comment
<< Home

InterstellarLass :: permalink