<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Interstellar Adventure
Adventure: the pursuit of life — Daniel Roy Wiarda

« Home | It's all about the party! » | Seven » | Meanwhile, back at the track... » | Why is it? » | Everything you wanted to know, then some » | Your Questions Answered — Round 3 » | Autumn Equinox » | Your Questions Answered — Round 2 » | Your Questions Answered — Round 1 » | Drawing a blank »

Twenty-Six Days and Counting

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Including today, I have 17 more workouts remaining. Today's was easy in comparison to what I've got ahead of me. This morning was a mere 4 miles, completed in 45:54, plus a 1 mile warm-up/cool-down. My right glute/hip was bugging me again despite stretching, so I will be calling Dr. Pain to schedule some torture therapy sessions between now and race day. I have more speed work to look forward to on Thursday. The dreaded Yasso's-kickin'-my-assos. And my longest run, 4 hours or 20-22 miles, this weekend. I'm thinking I'll be running longer than 4 hours in order to get the mileage in. The plane tickets are purchased and the hotel is booked. So, there's no chickening out now. I'm alternating between feeling excitement and dread. I know that this last part of it is mental, and I've been feeling mentally exhausted the past couple of weeks. I'm starting to come out of that, trying to visualize a strong race and the finish. When I'm having a good run, I try to memorize that feeling for use at a later time. This last weekend my sister asked me what I think about when I run that long. I told her I couldn't remember, because honestly, I can't. I only use my headphones when I run at the track. During my long runs I leave them behind because they aren't allowed at the race. The time from my long runs just kind of runs (excuse the pun) together and turns into a large blank for me. I go into a sort of trance. I'm aware of what's going on around me, but it's almost an out-of-body experience. I feel relaxed and I look down at my watch occasionally, surprised about how much time has passed. Before I know it, I'm done. Hopefully the race will be that way too. I've been studying the course (this is a link to a PDF document) and starting to visualize and plan how I will run the race. I'm not thinking about my time goal as much anymore, and instead focusing on getting across that finish line. Part of that visualization includes my friend Judy, waiting for me with a big hug and my Tiffany's finisher necklace. My very first 'blue box' item! There's supposedly a concert afterwards, but they haven't announced who the band is yet. The countdown continues!

9/27/2005 03:55:00 PM :: ::
12 Comments:
  • I know what you mean about the trance. I used to get into this state where all I was really aware of was the sound of my breathing, in rhythm and the way my feet were moving methodically across the pavement.
    A few times I got so caught up in it that I found myself going faster and faster, pretty soon I was just flying down the road. Man! that felt really good.

    Can't wait till you cross the finish line :)
    and the next one after that!

    By Anonymous Laura, at 9/27/2005 07:28:00 PM

     


  • It'll be over before you know it. Then you'll be able to look back fondly and recall how hard you worked to get there.

    Oh, and training for next year's event begins immediately afterward. :p

    By Blogger FTS, at 9/28/2005 12:46:00 AM

     


  • Hmm, I don't see any internet cafes along the route. Hopefully, you'll remember to audioblog ;-)

    I think finishing your first marathon would be an awesome accomplishment. Remember, the force of the blogger world will be running with you.

    By Blogger Bone, at 9/28/2005 09:50:00 AM

     


  • Hello, Michelle sent me

    Can't wait till I hear that you have crossed the finish line
    and the next one after that!

    By Blogger TC, at 9/28/2005 11:26:00 AM

     


  • wow! i admire your discipline. see you at the finish line! hi, here via michele. :)

    By Blogger ribbiticus, at 9/28/2005 11:51:00 AM

     


  • Sounds like you are really getting ready. Proud of you. Oh! And today, I am gonna try to take pics of my art work with my roomie's digital camera, and make post them all on a website (i will give you the link when i have it). The one that is hanging up in the art building might, or might not be in it ... depending on how long i can use her camera.

    By Blogger Brittany, at 9/28/2005 11:53:00 AM

     


  • How exciting!! You are so driven, woman. I need some of your energy...please??

    By Blogger MommaK, at 9/28/2005 12:48:00 PM

     


  • I find it hard to explain to non-runners that out-of-body feeling that happens. Just have to be there I guess.

    Keep visualizing! It will happen, and you'll be whoopin' it up with whatever band is there to celebrate with!

    By Anonymous abbynormal, at 9/28/2005 01:50:00 PM

     


  • You're taking a plane? Why not just run there?
    Har-har!

    By Blogger annie, at 9/28/2005 05:26:00 PM

     


  • You are gonna do fantastic! Get rid of all those negative thoughts! Get ready for "the wall" so you can do what you need to to get through it. ~~~sending positive thoughts~~~~

    By Blogger Carnealian, at 9/28/2005 09:13:00 PM

     


  • You're right on regarding visualising the fun part after finishing, culfy told me something similar in order for me to have the confidence to get through something.

    Go girl ;-)

    By Blogger The Wisdom of Wislon, at 9/29/2005 03:26:00 AM

     


  • I'm so excited for you!!!! You'll do just fine.

    By Blogger Indigo, at 9/29/2005 09:03:00 AM

     


Post a Comment
<< Home

InterstellarLass :: permalink