<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Interstellar Adventure
Adventure: the pursuit of life — Daniel Roy Wiarda

« Home | 30,000 Hits! » | Memories » | *thud* » | Happy Veterans Day » | Thursday Thirteen, VII » | My Arch Nemesis » | The K-12 Meme » | Sunny and 86 » | The Half » | Genesis »

D.I.Y.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I have visions of grandeur, limited only by time and budget. My house is small and nothing fancy. Far from my dream home, but the schools are good, the neighborhood is quiet, and it's just enough house for me and my kids. But, 1970's Fox & Jacobs ain't exactly my style. Every room in that house needs work. I can't decide where to start first or with what. Entry: The floor is covered in brown linoleum. The walls are covered in a textured wall covering that I actually kind of like. But the floor has got to go. Living room: This room and the dining room have carpet that I believe to be original to the house. And white walls. To do in here? Paint walls, replace flooring, replace window coverings. Dining room: I've already replaced the window covering in this room. I found a very pretty paper shade with leaves embedded in it, and I found some pretty wine colored drapes. I also have a light fixture to replace the one that's in there, but I haven't done it yet. I can do electric, but it still makes me nervous. I'm also considering getting rid of the dining room furniture altogether and making this a sitting/computer room to allow more space in the living room. I don't use the room that often, and I don't see myself throwing grandiose dinner parties anywhere in the near future. Plus the furniture was my Ex's grandmothers, and no one else in the family wants it. Kitchen: I have the paint. I've had the paint for over a year. I just need to paint now. And I need to take the cabinet doors off, paint the boxes, and figure out a covering for the cabinets. The floor is also horrid yellow linoleum, which will be removed. Den: Again, replacing the carpet. I want to put wood floors in the whole house. The walls also need to be painted and the oh-so-stylish wood paneling on the walls will come down. Oh, and a new ceiling fan. Bathroom: This is the only room I've actually done. Pretty tropical colors. I still have to tile the floor. Kids rooms: Both rooms will be painted. Right now Zed has some flouncy curtains, remnant's of Grandma's days in the house. Elle's room has some horrid floral print wallpaper that will be removed. My room: I could say that my room is done, but the Ex painted it before I moved in. It's a pretty deep red color, but too dark in my opinion. I'm thinking a nice sage color on the wall. The bathroom is a mish-mash of 80's style wallpaper, early 90's style linoleum, and a new retro shower curtain. Again, this room needs work. Don't even get me started on my flower beds. As you can see from the photo, the right side of my flower beds grows, while the left side, well, they just kind of linger. And I don't like the bushes. Not at all. They're ugly little things. My grandmother is offering me up some plants. I don't know what kind. But I have a feeling that's what I'll be doing part of Sunday. Ripping out my flower beds. If you have any home savvy, have done your own D.I.Y. projects, or have any helpful hints, please leave me a tip or two. Donations to the Lass Home Decoration Fund will also be accepted.

11/16/2005 10:01:00 AM :: ::
18 Comments:
  • Love the house!

    We are (well, hubby is) DIYers & watch This Old House all_the_time... I recommend it! You pick up a ton of tips!!

    By Blogger Marie, at 11/16/2005 10:17:00 AM

     


  • Well, only for the paint in your bedroom. You're gonna have to be careful of the color, with a dark one underneath. Once, when we moved, my sister got the room that was, for some reason, painted Blaze Orange. Yeah, like hunters wear so they can be seen. We were able to mute it out, but it took many many layers.

    Also, wallpaper is evil. Borders are ok.

    By Blogger Coyote Mike, at 11/16/2005 10:38:00 AM

     


  • Very cute. Never done a lot of DIY proj's. I've put up border. And painted. Done lots of painting. Will work for (home-cooked) food ;-)

    By Blogger Bone, at 11/16/2005 10:56:00 AM

     


  • Cute house! Sounds like the biggest purchase and the most dramatic improvement is to do new flooring throughout. The rest is incidental (paint, removing wallpaper) that you can do yourself or with Nick's help. (It's great to have a very tall boyfriend - too bad mine's only 5'9!)

    And for covering up dark paint and/or painting a house smokers were once in (if that applies to you) the best thing to get is KILZ. They make a latex now too.

    Good luck!

    By Blogger JustCara, at 11/16/2005 11:12:00 AM

     


  • congrats on the 30k, and the house looks great!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/16/2005 11:39:00 AM

     


  • I'm right there with ya, with all the home renovations I want done. I had my bathroom done two years ago and am very happy with it. I must get my kitchen done (as mentioned about the missing dishwasher) and I want my basement redone so I can have a second bathroom. So, if I could just win the lottery, I'd be set! You'll get it done, when it really gets on your nerves.

    By Blogger Carnealian, at 11/16/2005 12:10:00 PM

     


  • Sounds like you just need to do all the floors first, that would make a HUGE difference. However, I know that's expensive.
    Nice houe, though.
    How come Texas house are always brick?

    By Blogger annie, at 11/16/2005 12:11:00 PM

     


  • house
    houses

    I can't type this morning...

    By Blogger annie, at 11/16/2005 12:12:00 PM

     


  • Let me just take a moment to say...

    Hope you have fun doing your own DIY projects. ;)

    By Blogger FTS, at 11/16/2005 01:11:00 PM

     


  • Mi casa es su casa. I like your house! there is always something to do around houses, good luck on your projects. And congrats on your 30,000!

    By Anonymous mar, at 11/16/2005 01:25:00 PM

     


  • Lots of runny paint and sore thumbs ahead.

    By Blogger Jean-Luc Picard, at 11/16/2005 01:50:00 PM

     


  • i do all sorts of stuff around here myself, my husband is useless, and he's the first to admit it. i'd let your kid pick a theme or colour they want for their rooms, they can even help paint, let them put stuff their own stuff up on walls, maybe pick up a new lamp or bedding. i always do the kitchen first, it's the room that gets the most use in our house, if you know what you want to do, just jump right in. don't start another room until that one is done. and it's freezing here so i refuse to give any advice about gardening, because it's just not fair.

    By Blogger Better Safe Than Sorry, at 11/16/2005 02:07:00 PM

     


  • You can always start with some of the smaller jobs and move up. This way when spring arrives you will have some momentum to get the bigger jobs completed. Good luck, you'll probably need it.

    By Blogger mman, at 11/16/2005 02:29:00 PM

     


  • Beautiful house! Your yard looks great! I think I killed mine over the summer! lol

    Not much advice on the DIY.... so I will just wish you a lot of luck!!

    By Blogger Texas_Ivy10, at 11/16/2005 03:44:00 PM

     


  • I despise decorating with a vengence and any I've done has always been terrible! I won't give you advise with my track history!

    By Anonymous Claire, at 11/16/2005 04:39:00 PM

     


  • That is quite a list. My advice is go room by room. Painting is such a chore doing the whole house. Good luck with your renovations. We just added on three rooms and I am so happy now that it is over and done with!

    By Blogger mommy d, at 11/17/2005 12:28:00 AM

     


  • Whoa, what a list! You've got a cute house there too. My house was also built in the 70's, and when we moved in, the previous owners had "upgraded" it to brand new rose colored carpet with matching Rose colored walls In Every Room.

    YECH! That was not my style at all.
    So I had a longggg list to do also.

    You might want to start by focusing only on one room, and I would do the room that you already have the most ideas for, if budget permits.

    That way, you can get at least one room done faster.
    For example, start with the dining room since you've already papered it and go from there. I like the idea of the computer room instead. The satisfaction you get from doing that will enable you to muster to tackle that kitchen, since you already have the paint!LOL

    I don't envy you on the kitchen redo because hub and I used to remodel kitchens on the side and it's hard work!!

    Focus on the end result, same as you do when you're running. Maybe you could think of the house as your marathon?

    For the record, we're still working on our house. We still have to do two of the bathrooms and the kitchen and the master bedroom. I painted that a deep blue but we still have the rose carpet, the very last room that still has it. ugh.

    I've painted every room in the house several times over, colors are a tan, sage green and one wall in the dinnig room is cranberry. I wouldnt mind coming over there to give you a hand if you send a plane ticket! LOL

    By Anonymous Laura, at 11/17/2005 06:28:00 AM

     


  • That house looks great.

    Sometimes it's more fun to fix up the house that you have, than look for a new one. it makes you feel good.

    By Blogger Raehan, at 11/21/2005 12:11:00 AM

     


Post a Comment
<< Home

InterstellarLass :: permalink