<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Interstellar Adventure
Adventure: the pursuit of life — Daniel Roy Wiarda

« Home | Thursday Thirteen, VII » | My Arch Nemesis » | The K-12 Meme » | Sunny and 86 » | The Half » | Genesis » | Divergence » | Thursday Thirteen, VI » | 48 hours and counting » | NaNoWriMo & Naked Blathering »

Happy Veterans Day

Friday, November 11, 2005

I'm not a fan of this current war, or the reasons that we're there. But, I am a fan of the soldiers. The men and women of the United States Army, the United States Navy, the US Air Force, and the United States Marine Corps deserve our thanks and appreciation. Their job? To protect our nation. And they do it every day. While the rest of us are at home watching TV, working behind a desk, mowing our lawn, shopping at the mall, blogging or whatever else occupies our daily lives, our soldiers are stationed far away from their homes and families, doing their job, living their job. My Grandaddy fought in World War II. He was 411th Infantry Regiment, 103rd Cactus Division, United States Army. Until about 7 or 8 years ago, I never knew this. He never talked about it, until I finally asked. He fought through France, Germany, Austria and Italy. My Grandfather and Grandmother on my mom's side were both in the Navy. In fact, that's how they met. My grandfather was a medic on Navy ships during the Korean war. My grandmother was in the WAVES. They met at the Annapolis Naval Base. My grandfather wears his Korea Veterans hat every chance he gets. My Great-Uncle was in the Navy too. But he was younger than my Grandfather, and so didn't serve in a war. He too met his wife through the Navy. They were both stationed in Hawaii. Their uncle, my great-grandmother's brother, was a pilot in World War II. He was almost too old to enlist, but he did. He was a veteran pilot and was determined to serve. During his last mission before coming home, his plane was shot down somewhere over Germany or Russia. They never recovered his plane or his body. My cousin joined the Marines. Against his mother's wishes of course. He's an only child. And he loves it. And, I enjoy occasional healthy debate with a soldier in Iraq. I admire Dorman and I appreciate his service. If you have a chance, make sure you stop by and say hi and thank-you to Dorman, or tell a veteran in your family that you thank them for their service.

11/11/2005 08:29:00 AM :: ::
14 Comments:
  • You've just mentioned the difference between the anti-war feelings of the 60's/70's and those of today. Back then, the soldiers were often blamed and hated. Today we realize and understand that it is not the soldiers who are making the war. It is those people who insist on war even when one is not needed.

    Soldiers need our support. And I am happy to give it. But I will never support our government if they insist on sending our people to die in a country that was never a threat to us.

    By Blogger Coyote Mike, at 11/11/2005 10:05:00 AM

     


  • Amen sister! Nice job!

    By Blogger Carnealian, at 11/11/2005 10:12:00 AM

     


  • I think its important that we remember not only those who have risked their lives in the past for this nation, but also those who are risking their lives right now. Veteran's Day is a day to remember all the men and women who have fought for this country, whether it be yesterday or today.

    By Blogger Trista, at 11/11/2005 10:39:00 AM

     


  • Very nice post. The Government sets policy for soldiers to carry out. The troops deserve all the respect and thanks we can afford.

    By Blogger mman, at 11/11/2005 11:20:00 AM

     


  • Nice thoughts, Lass.

    When I think about what they do, what they've done, a "thank you" just doesn't even begin to seem like enough.

    By Blogger Bone, at 11/11/2005 12:35:00 PM

     


  • Yes, today is a very important day.

    By Anonymous abbynormal, at 11/11/2005 01:52:00 PM

     


  • When my husband (he's a Vet) sees a man in uniform he breaks through the crowd to go shake their hand and tell them "thank you", usually with tears in his eyes.

    By Blogger annie, at 11/11/2005 05:53:00 PM

     


  • I'm with you. We have to honor their sacrifices, despite the feelings about this war.

    By Blogger Running2Ks, at 11/11/2005 06:27:00 PM

     


  • Good post. We may not all see the current events in Irag the same way (perhaps we do all agree on Afghanistan for the most part), but most Americans are 100% behind the troops.

    By Blogger FTS, at 11/11/2005 09:49:00 PM

     


  • Thank you Insterstellar for voicing what many of us feel; we hate the war but support those fighting for us and the many sacrifices made over the years.

    By Blogger culfy, at 11/12/2005 05:56:00 AM

     


  • Great Post! We take so much for granted, great reminder, we do need to remember those who fight for freedom and those who give their lives leaving family behind. God Bless our soldiers!!

    By Blogger Live, Love, Laugh, at 11/13/2005 12:43:00 AM

     


  • Thanks for writing this... I totally agree with you. Nothing makes me madder than when people blame the troops for the war. The troops need our support, regardless of what we think about our country's politics.

    By Blogger Suburban Turmoil, at 11/13/2005 07:57:00 AM

     


  • I was in the USN form 79 to 85, stationed in Hawaii. My dad was in WW2 and went all through Europe and my grandfather was in WW1.

    By Blogger MarkD60, at 11/13/2005 09:32:00 PM

     


  • In Rememberance x

    By Blogger The Wisdom of Wislon, at 11/14/2005 02:57:00 AM

     


Post a Comment
<< Home

InterstellarLass :: permalink