<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Interstellar Adventure
Adventure: the pursuit of life — Daniel Roy Wiarda

« Home | Blahs » | Interstellar Travel Guide » | Doldrums » | She's too young for a crush » | I'm going to run away! » | There will be a test later... » | People Never Amaze Me » | Enough Already! » | Thursday Thirteen, XIV » | Fore For Four »

Road Trip!

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Nick and I are packing up and taking a weekend road-trip to his hometown, El Paso. His dad is 85 and doesn't travel more than a couple of miles from his home, which means I've never met him, and Nick hasn't seen him since last April. El Paso is a looong way from Plano. I've never been there before. Google Maps says almost 13 hours, but based on 650 miles at an average 70 miles per hour, that's just 9.25 hours of drive time. We're bringing food and stuff with us so we don't have to stop to eat, so we'll only stop for bio-breaks and to refill the gas tank. Nick's in charge of music too. I mean, the Celebrity Name Game can only take us so far before we run out of celebrities. How does one play the Celebrity Name Game? Well, it's a game that I made up. Whoever starts the game (doesn't matter how you pick who starts) names a celebrity. Say Tom Cruise. Then the other person has to come up with a celebrity who's first name starts with the first letter of the previous celebrity's last name. Say Chrisitian Bale. Then the other person would say maybe Barbara Streisand. Then Susan Sarandon. And so forth. No celebrity name can be repeated. You win by stumping the other person. If they couldn't come up with another celebrity within a reasonable time frame they lose the game. So, coming up with names with weird letters like Q and Y and Z and stuff is key. I've got to study up... I'll also be taking plenty of Sudoku puzzles with me. And probably a couple of knitting projects as well. I have a hat that I'm working on for Elle that I haven't had the patience to finish. While in El Paso, I anticipate eating lots of Mexican food. Not Tex-Mex mind you. Nick actually hates Tex-Mex. It's not real Mexican food according to him. So, by Monday, I'll be Mexican-fooded out. Hopefully we won't have to make exponentially more bio-breaks on the way home as a result. I doubt I'll be able to check in or visit any of you over the weekend. We're driving back on Monday, so *gasp* I'll be at least four whole days without blogging! I've never done that before. :( I'll miss you all. Don't have too much fun without me. Play nice. Maybe go visit someone on my Blogroll you've never been to visit before. If you do, let me know.

2/02/2006 12:34:00 PM :: ::
27 Comments:
  • By monday we can change your name to Gassy Lassy!!!

    You two could play a geography game. One person names a place, and the other person has to name a place that starts with the last letter of the previous place: Los Angeles-Seattle-England-Dakon (NE)-etc.

    By Blogger Coyote Mike, at 2/02/2006 01:37:00 PM

     


  • Road trip! Fun! I like the celebrity name game, maybe we'll try that next time. 20 questions gets old after a while.

    Have a fun, relaxing, and spicy time! As in spicy food, of course. Don't want to be too spicy for the first time meeting of the father-in-law!

    By Anonymous abbynormal, at 2/02/2006 01:53:00 PM

     


  • El Paso is absolutely beautiful! CJ worked there last summer. I drove from Houston to El Paso and back, by myself, and the drive took about 11-1/2 hours! I loved the drive though, the scenery is gorgeous! Have a fun and safe trip!

    By Blogger Texas_Ivy10, at 2/02/2006 01:55:00 PM

     


  • You are going to have the best food! I am so jealous!!

    Travel safe. Looking forward to the pictures :)
    xo

    By Blogger MommaK, at 2/02/2006 02:27:00 PM

     


  • That's a great game, Lass!

    By Blogger Jean-Luc Picard, at 2/02/2006 02:41:00 PM

     


  • Have a wonderful drive!

    Even without our kids with us when we went to Shreveport a couple of weeks ago we still made some stops that were unnecessarily long. I don't know if I know how to drive straight through anymore!

    Sounds like a fun game and one I'll have to share with my family.

    By Anonymous Sleeping Mommy, at 2/02/2006 02:59:00 PM

     


  • Have a safe and fun trip! I hope the real Mexican food agrees with you!

    By Blogger Jen, at 2/02/2006 03:23:00 PM

     


  • Drive safely. And try to see if you can hook yourself up to the exhaust system on the car. If galloping montezuma affects you, you may as well get a boost in fuel economy from the experience.

    By Blogger Carmi, at 2/02/2006 06:11:00 PM

     


  • You are such a good writer. I was thinking that as you described the celebrity game and it sounded like you were right there telling me how to play.

    Hope you get picts, great food and decidedly minimal bio breaks! lol

    By Anonymous Laura, at 2/02/2006 07:16:00 PM

     


  • we play the celebrity name game,b ut we call it "think while you drink". play it exactly the same, but whilst drinking alcohol. if you finsih your drink while thinking, it goes to the next person. also it you get a surname and first name which start with the same letter, eg tina turner, the direction changes.

    obviously not a wise idea to use the alcohol while driving tho!!!!

    By Blogger The Toothfairy, at 2/03/2006 07:10:00 AM

     


  • Sounds like a great time!! Have some good food for me! I suggest maybe take a pack of Trivial Pursuit cards with you, you can quiz each other. You'll have to come up with some ways of rewarding the winner, punishing the loser. I'm sure you newlyweds can come up with something!!

    Safe trip!!

    By Blogger Carnealian, at 2/03/2006 07:16:00 AM

     


  • That game sounds great. I'm going to play that with Brian on the way to the cabin. Have fun on your trip!

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 2/03/2006 09:07:00 AM

     


  • I can't read in the car (so Soduko would totally be out for me) but on our last road trip, I found that I was able to knit. As long as I'm knitting something I don't have to look at a lot, I can do it! And I feel so productive. I'm a multi-tasker at heart so sitting in a car for several hours without "doing" something drives me nuts! Have a wonderful, safe trip.

    By Blogger Jessica, at 2/03/2006 09:49:00 AM

     


  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger SquashedToad, at 2/03/2006 10:05:00 AM

     


  • Have a safe trip and lots of spicy food! mmm... taco....

    By Blogger SquashedToad, at 2/03/2006 10:05:00 AM

     


  • Just doing catch up

    I get the blues but more so this week for a long time, all due to being an over worked dogs body. moan over ;-)

    Enjoy your trip

    Ps I want to see where Lord of the Rings and Narnia was made

    By Blogger The Wisdom of Wislon, at 2/03/2006 12:04:00 PM

     


  • dammit Lass, now i'm hooked on Sudoku!
    thanks for the link!
    (or not) arrrgh. LOL!

    By Anonymous Laura, at 2/03/2006 02:46:00 PM

     


  • Enjoy the roadtrip! I love the Celebrity name game, suduko and of course music! You should be fine...if a bit stir crazy with the confines of a car by the time you arrive!

    By Anonymous Claire, at 2/03/2006 03:22:00 PM

     


  • Hey...have a GREAT trip and a safe one at that. I hope you have a good experience meeting the FIL. I like your celebrity game. The one me and my husband play is much like the Kevin Bacon game where you name two actors (any two) and get to them by association...within 6 degrees. Well have fun and let us know how it went!

    By Blogger Twist of Kate, at 2/03/2006 03:29:00 PM

     


  • Have a great trip! I'm sure it will be interesting to meet your husband's father. Although if you get there in 9.25 hours, I'll be a monkey's uncle. ;)

    By Blogger Suburban Turmoil, at 2/04/2006 10:25:00 AM

     


  • Have a good trip. Let us know how long it actually takes to get there.

    By Blogger MarkD60, at 2/04/2006 03:44:00 PM

     


  • Enjoy your visit! Drive safely!

    By Blogger Indigo, at 2/04/2006 10:58:00 PM

     


  • I took your suggestion and went to visit Anti-Social Butterfly's blog. Loved it. I decided to visit a link from everyone on my blogroll. I get so caught up in my usual reads I forget there might be other fantastic sites out there.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 2/05/2006 09:20:00 AM

     


  • I usually travel alone, so I don't have anyone to play word games with. I tried counting Hummers on my way to Colorado last year, but once I left Dallas they were few and far between.

    By Blogger FTS, at 2/05/2006 09:44:00 AM

     


  • I like the 'bio breaks' it's sounds so clean. Pit stops is what I usually do on the road. It covers the input and output of gas from the vehicle. Take photos.

    By Blogger mman, at 2/06/2006 12:12:00 PM

     


  • Hope you had a great trip!

    Mmmm. Real Mexican food. Sounds OK to me!

    By Blogger Marie, at 2/06/2006 12:48:00 PM

     


  • i love the idea of those car games, i don't know i could come up with a q celebrity???
    hope you enjoy your trip.

    By Blogger Better Safe Than Sorry, at 2/06/2006 12:54:00 PM

     


Post a Comment
<< Home

InterstellarLass :: permalink