<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Interstellar Adventure
Adventure: the pursuit of life — Daniel Roy Wiarda

« Home | The road to El Paso is lined with dirt » | Back from El Paso » | Road Trip! » | Blahs » | Interstellar Travel Guide » | Doldrums » | She's too young for a crush » | I'm going to run away! » | There will be a test later... » | People Never Amaze Me »

We'll be drivin' round El Paso all day long...

Friday, February 10, 2006

Saturday started with more coffee and Dunkin' Donuts. These guys are crazy about their donuts I tell you. The El Paso Times was a quick read. I guess not a lot goes on in El Paso. OK, maybe I'm joking a little bit. But not really. Nick worked at several radio stations in El Paso, and even hosted a morning show there. I've seen the tapes. As we were driving in on Friday, we were listening to the radio, and the show was, well, not so good. El Paso radio...where DJs go to die. It's all gone downhill since Nick left. :P Let's see...it was Mexican for breakfast again on Saturday. This time it was Franky's. First, the lady that took our drink order greeted us in Spanish. My rusty high school/college Spanish got me well, nowhere. Coffee and water? Then, never before have I been served chips and salsa with my breakfast. I decided to get daring and ordered the juevos con chorizo. It was actually very good. But I've also never had refried beans served with my breakfast. I also found that it was very difficult to get a refill on my water...until I finally asked for it in Spanish. What am I? In France?
Nick and Pop at Franky's. My breakfast and Nick's breakfast. Franky's Juevos con Chorizo Juevos Rancheros
After breakfast, we went on a drive around El Paso. The biggest thing in El Paso, besides Wal Mart, is Fort Bliss. The city is built around the Army base. Nick's mom is buried in the military cemetery there. As the wife of a Navy man, she was able to be buried there. I've never been in a military cemetery before. It was definitely an experience. Seeing all the headstones with the various wars and service engraved on them. The precision with which the stone are laid out is also impressive.
Fort Bliss Military Cemetery. Headstones & Mountains Cemetery & Mountains Military Precision
Then we took the Scenic Drive up into the Franklin Mountains. Before the Transmountain Road was there, this was the first road that went up the mountain to cross to West El Paso.
Pictures of the mountains. Pictures from the Scenic Overlook Franklin Mountains Radio & TV Towers Border Bridge
More Photos of El Paso Nick & Pop wave Map of El Paso & Juarez Big Houses on the Mountain
We took Pop back home. A couple of hours driving around really took it out of me the old man. We all took a nap. Then Nick and I went out and drove around some more. I got some cool new boots at the Tony Lama factory outlet. I wore them out to dinner Saturday night. Pop took us to the Great American Cattle Company. It was a decent steak. I never did get the cold glass for my beer. Back at home, we traded boots for jammies and Pop and I played some poker and some cribbage. The old man had skillz! He gave me a good run for my buttons (come on! what's more fun than playing poker with buttons!). Then Nick and I took a look at the vinyl records (remember those?) hidden away in the old-fashioned record player. Pop told us to go through them to see if we wanted any. We found a few good ones. Can you believe that Terry Bradshaw actually did a gospel album??? No friggen' way! That was the find of the night.
Me & Pop at dinner. I never knew Terry Bradshaw sang! Evidently he's done six albums! Me & Pop Terry Bradshaw Terry Bradshaw2
Day 2 complete. Day 3...ya can't wait can ya!

2/10/2006 07:22:00 AM :: ::
14 Comments:
  • Those breakfast plates look yummy but I don't know if I could do that kind of food first thing in the a.m.

    Terry Bradshaw does gospel...LORD!

    By Blogger Carnealian, at 2/10/2006 08:36:00 AM

     


  • Did you take that poor old man's buttons? You naughty girl.

    mmm, gassy breakfast :P

    By Blogger Coyote Mike, at 2/10/2006 09:16:00 AM

     


  • Sounds like a good time. I especially love all the places to eat. That really is the best thing about going out of town. Eating out. I'm glad you had fun. And I'm glad you experienced chips and salsa in the morning.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 2/10/2006 10:06:00 AM

     


  • Little did you know that the "real" mexican came with breakfast. Down south it is that way too. There is this little mexican place, literally owned and run by a little mexican grandman, that i love to go eat breakfast at.

    By Anonymous Brittany, at 2/10/2006 11:24:00 AM

     


  • Those pictures of you and the album are hysterical! That made my day! Glad you had a good time.

    By Blogger JustCara, at 2/10/2006 11:49:00 AM

     


  • Great pictures of you & your father.

    By Blogger Jean-Luc Picard, at 2/10/2006 02:04:00 PM

     


  • NO! I had no idea he sang gospel. LOL, I had to do a double take. Terry Bradshaw of all people. amazing.
    LOVED the pict of you holding the album!!!
    The picts were cool too. all those headstones, so sad :(

    Nicks' dad sounds like a peach!

    By Anonymous Laura, at 2/10/2006 03:06:00 PM

     


  • Great pics. The military cemetary is stunning.
    & I've got get myself a copy of the Terry Bradshaw album...OMG! That's really too funny.

    ~m

    By Blogger michaelm, at 2/10/2006 08:21:00 PM

     


  • Mmmm! Food!

    I bet Nick's Dad was so glad to meet you & see you both... pretty scenery, so different from the northeast.

    By Blogger Marie, at 2/11/2006 01:06:00 PM

     


  • Now I want breakfast... mmmm

    By Blogger FTS, at 2/11/2006 02:59:00 PM

     


  • Hey Lass,

    Thanks for your sweet comments.

    Have a great week!

    By Blogger UziCue, at 2/12/2006 01:28:00 PM

     


  • I fancy a donut now after catching up on your intrepid adventures;-)
    Btw the sky in your photos is such a lush blue.

    By Blogger The Wisdom of Wislon, at 2/13/2006 02:27:00 AM

     


  • Where DJs go to die. That's cracking me up. El Paso really is ten feet from hell, isn't it? Or is that Yuma, AZ? ;)

    By Blogger Suburban Turmoil, at 2/13/2006 07:53:00 AM

     


  • I am drooling over that food!! So glad you had a great time:)

    By Blogger MommaK, at 2/13/2006 05:32:00 PM

     


Post a Comment
<< Home

InterstellarLass :: permalink