<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Interstellar Adventure
Adventure: the pursuit of life — Daniel Roy Wiarda

« Home | Ever see the sun set behind a dust storm? » | Race for the Cure » | Bad hair day » | Alternate Path » | Good luck with that... » | Party like it's 1999? » | I love Sue » | Ouch, That Smarts » | Viva La Raza » | I'll need to transfer you... »

I Owe What?!?!?!?

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I did my taxes last night. It was depressing. I got to file 'single' due to the D I V O R C E last year. The Ex got to claim Zed, and I got to claim Elle. Plus I got to claim the after-school care for Zed. Well, that didn't really matter, because evidently I still underpaid. See, the Ex-Butthead never made as much money as me. As of last year, he made about half of what I make. Therefore, he got a big refund this year - bigger than we ever got when we were married. And this year, I OWE. About five times what his refund was. How is this fair? He pays diddly for child support (because he's a slacker) and that's barely half of the cost of their after-school care and summer care for the year. Doesn't include clothes, food, extra-curricular activities, and the like. And he gets the refund??? And I'm wondering how the wonderful Bush tax cuts have benefit me. The 'single' mom with the two kids. How is it that I'm paying out the wazzoo?

4/11/2006 09:41:00 AM :: ::
6 Comments:
  • I always owed. The US economy has been very bad even when it is good for a long time.
    I worked two full time jobs for 10 years before moving down here. And ate beans and macaroni while the welfare food stamp people in front of me in line ate steak.
    I could never go back to paying taxes like that.

    By Blogger MarkD60, at 4/11/2006 10:13:00 AM

     


  • Well, keep in mind you have to pay for a war which we refuse to fight -but as long as we win their heart and minds it's okay-illegals with no jobs that are collecting benefits, plus sending their kids to school, paying their medical cost. Then there's the American's on welfare that milk the system and pop out another kid, instead of getting a job. And of course there's the myriad of social programs that you support.

    Here's an example of how it works: You take your family to the movies, you need four tickets. They're happy to sell them to you, but before you can purchase them you have to buy five tickets for the family behind you. They want to see the movie too, but dad doesn't have a job, and mom can't work because she's raising five kids and is pregnant. So, you buy their tickets. It is the law after all. Now you want popcorn and sodas. But, once again you have to pay for another family. This one, not even American, they're from Mexico. Once you've paid for their snacks you discover you no longer have enough to pay for your own family. However, you can take solace in knowing that others are enjoying themselves and being taken care of thanks to you.

    And that's the American way.

    Really makes you want to wake up and go to work, doesn't it?

    P.S. Maybe you should turn Nick loose on your ex.

    Came here from Nick's blog. Very cool. PF

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/11/2006 10:35:00 AM

     


  • I feel for ya girl. I too make twice what TheMan makes. He never has enough taxes taken out so it falls onto me. If we divorce, I'm hosed. Bush sucks. /rant

    By Blogger used*to*be*me*, at 4/11/2006 12:05:00 PM

     


  • That does suck! Exes suck! Everything about divorce sucks! I'm sorry you owe.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 4/11/2006 12:48:00 PM

     


  • Owing is a bummer. We never have withholding, since we both work from our own business. Our wages are done on a draw system, so we always have to pay our share every year. Fortunately, BH is fantastic when it comes to the itemized deductions (that man doesn't miss a thing), and we reduce the payments quite substantially.

    But I still get bummed when people who earn less have way better health insurance. Today's headlines were about a 19yr old undocumented girl lamenting over not being eligible for Pell grants and GSL's, so her dream to attend college is dying. Um, what about scholarships? Work study? Savings accounts?
    I never complained because Canadian students get a thousand dollars more from their gov't to go to school? I didn't tell them their gov't wasn't fair because they didn't cut me a check? Nope, I flipped burgers and cleaned grease traps, filled vending machines, and worked concessions at ball games.

    By Blogger Dorothy, at 4/11/2006 02:13:00 PM

     


  • mebbe you should become more of a slacker! =;-)

    kelpy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/12/2006 08:47:00 AM

     


Post a Comment
<< Home

InterstellarLass :: permalink