<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Interstellar Adventure
Adventure: the pursuit of life — Daniel Roy Wiarda

« Home | Empty Nest » | Trivia & Other Funny Stuff » | The Hills » | Best Trip Ever! » | Happy Birthday to my Superman » | Chicken Dancers » | Workout Divas » | I have great ovaries! » | *sigh* » | He's at it again »

The Day We Met

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A year ago today, I was just a girl, newly single, doing things single people do. Going to ballgames with my friends, playing hard on the trails, drinking martinis and putting my life back together. I was happy, but I wanted someone special in my life. A year ago today, he was just a guy, happily content to sit in his recliner, read Bukowski, smoke his cigars and eat his QuikTrip sandwiches and write poetry into the night. He was happy, but his best gal pal decided he needed someone special in his life. A year ago today, we had a date at Starbucks. I was a bit nervous, meeting someone new. Hoping that it would go better than the last couple of guys I'd met. He'd only wanted to meet for coffee. I was OK with this. I was available for exactly one hour. The hour between getting home from work and my kids getting home from dinner with their dad. I figured this would be enough time to establish if I wanted to go out with him again, and also be safe. A friend knew where I was, and the Ex would be looking for me if I wasn't home. You know, just in case this guy turned out to be a serial killer. He'd mentioned his favorite color was blue. So I wore a blue skirt and a black top, and my sassy new blue earrings. Yeah, it was just coffee, but I was also coming from work. And I wanted to look nice. One thing my mom taught me was to look nice. Granted, pajama pants would have been more comfortable, but not nearly as cute. I walked in to the Starbucks, hoping I'd recognize him. I scanned around the store. He was there, standing at the back wall, looking at the espresso machines and coffee cups. His back was to me. Blue jeans, white shirt, sandals. Casual but cool. As I walked across the store to meet him, he scratched the back of his head and turned around. He saw me and made an awkward waving motion with the head-scratching hand. I giggled. Hi, I'm Nick. Hi, I'm Lass. Do you want something to drink? We're here for coffee, right? Why yes, yes we are. We stood awkwardly in line, waiting to order our overpriced hot beverages. I found a table, and he brought our drinks over. We chatted. Talked about lots of things. I specifically remember talking about my arch-nemesis, writing, movies, his family tree, and running a marathon. At the end of the hour, he asked me out again. So, uh, would you, uh, like to...I'm never good at this. I'm trying to think of a way to ask you if you'd like to go out with me again. Would you like to? Of course I did. And in the last year, I've never been so happy. Superman&Lass He's my Superman. My hero. My lover. My friend. My partner. He keeps me safe. He cares for me. He makes me laugh. He drives me crazy. He makes me happy when I am sad. He spoils me. He's a romantic. He loves my kids. He makes our family complete. I love the sound of his voice. The warm touch of his hand. The peace that he brings to my life. I know that this man is going to be there for me always. He will forever be my constant friend and faithful partner. I love you Nick. You are amazing to me. This last year has been the best year of my life, and I'm so thankful that you've been such a big part of it. Want to get a coffee later?

7/05/2006 09:12:00 AM :: ::
16 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

InterstellarLass :: permalink